If you’ve always wanted a beautiful pearly white smile, and you are ready to move from using over-the-counter teeth whitening products, it is time to consider professional teeth whitening at a dentist’s office. But before you do that, there is an important decision for you to make.
The first thing that comes to mind is which procedure to choose. Although there are many ways a dentist may whiten your teeth professionally, the two most common are bleaching and laser whitening. So which is better?
Celebrity Smiles, based in Westmont has a few pros and cons to share for both procedures so you can make an informed decision. We have listed these below.
Pros and Cons of Professional Teeth Bleaching
- Bleaching is simpler when compared to laser treatment and it can almost give you the same results. But when you have to decide which to go with, these pros and cons will help.
Pros of Bleaching
- Bleaching is achieved by providing the patient with a customized bleaching tray that matches their unique dental structure. This means that you’ll get a precise job done.
- Bleaching works while you sleep which means that you can have the procedure and continue doing your daily tasks without worry.
- You may experience less sensitivity with selected bleaching solutions.
- Bleaching trays are very comfortable to wear and they are thin, clear, and almost always non-invasive.
- Bleaching costs a lot less than laser whitening.
- Annual maintenance of bleaching is also very low compared to laser.
Cons of Bleaching
- Bleaching requires many applications which means a lot of visits to the dentist over a few months.
- Some people may not feel very comfortable wearing a bleaching tray or they may not want to wait long for the effect to take place.
Pros and Cons of Laser Teeth Whitening
- Just like bleaching, teeth whitening through a laser has many pros and cons that you should know.
Pros of Laser Teeth Whitening
- Laser whitening will usually require only two to four treatments for the best results.
- The session takes about 15-60 minutes at the dentist’s office
- You will see the results right away. The results are also somewhat better than bleaching trays.
- Treatment is performed under medical supervision which means that if you have any negative reactions or discomfort, you can always let the dentist know.
Cons of Laser Teeth Whitening
- It is known to cause teeth sensitivity temporarily.
- The sessions have to be taken with a gap of 10-14 days between each one. This means the complete procedure can take up to 2 months.
- You have to take time out of your schedule because this is a treatment that must be performed in the dentist’s office under medical supervision. This could be tough for someone who has a busy schedule.
- You are not allowed to eat anything you want after the first 48 hours have passed from the treatment. You will also have to be careful about what you eat for at least a week. This means no red wine, tea, red meat, fruits, soy sauce, and chocolate. Basically, you’ll have to avoid anything that stains the teeth.
- There is always a possibility that the laser may damage tooth pulp. But this can be avoided by choosing the right dentist for the job.
- Laser teeth whitening is an expensive procedure and there is annual maintenance required which is also costly. Dental insurance doesn’t pay for this procedure so you’ll have to pay for everything from your pocket.
Ready to Get Teeth Whitening?
If you’ve made your mind about getting professional teeth whitening, contact Your Celebrity Smiles in Westmont and get an appointment. We will discuss your options with you and will thoroughly go through what is best for you.